Legal NoticesNOTICE OF FILING OF PROSPECTIVE
NOTICE IS HEREBY GIVEN THAT a Prospective Initiative Petition has been filed in the Josephine County Clerk’s Office. The Ballot Title is as follows:
Five Year Levy for Patrol, Jail, Shelter of Abused Youth
QUESTION: Shall County increase deputies, dispatchers, jail capacity, juvenile facilities; cost of $1.40 per $1,000 assessed value; five years beginning 2015/16? This measure may cause property taxes to increase more than three percent.
SUMMARY: Passage of this measure will, subject to required budgetary process and limitations:
To ensure accountability, a Citizen’s Oversight Committee will be created; plus an annual independent audit, with findings made public.
This measure will generate revenue for five years beginning in 2015. The estimated tax raised by this levy is 2015/16-$9,090,600; 2016/17-$9,662,200; 2017/18-$9,952,000; 2018/19-$10,250,600, and 2019/20-$10,558,100 for a total of $49,513,500. For the median home in Josephine County, valued at $158,625, annual property tax will increase by $222.
After five years, this tax automatically sunsets, unless re-approved by Josephine County voters.
The initiative measure has been determined to meet the requirements of section 1 (2) (d), Article IV and section 10, Article VI of the Oregon Constitution.
Copies of this ballot title may be obtained at the County Clerk’s Office.
Any person dissatisfied with the ballot title may petition the Circuit Court pursuant to ORS 250.195, by December 26, 2014.
- Provide funding for 16 Sheriff’s deputies (including patrol cars) and four 911 dispatchers to increase Sheriff’s patrols and provide necessary emergency response;
- Increase Sheriff’s patrols during times of heightened criminal activity;
- Allow Sheriff to enforce laws when individuals engage in illegal activities, which impacts residents in both the rural and urban sections of Josephine County;
- Provide funding to increase jail capacity to 160 beds, keeping those convicted of violent crimes in jail;
- Provide funding to re-open Juvenile Justice Center to shelter abused youth and counsel local youth in crisis;
- Create a better business and job environment by improving public safety in Josephine County.
County Clerk & Recorder