The office is composed of five sections:
|Willamette Meridian - All surveys and grids west of the Cascades in Oregon and Washington are drawn from this spot.|
- Manufactured Home Ownership Transfers
- Business Personal Property
Services and duties include:
- Locate & identify all taxable property
- Inventory all property including quality, quantity, & important characteristics
- Estimate the market value of each taxable property
- Answer appeals and explain the assessment process used
- Administer all special assessment statutes relating to certain classes of property
- Calculate the tax rate and compute each tax bill
- Prepare the assessment roll
- Prepare and maintain cadastral maps
- Maintain property ownership records
- Perform manufactured home title transfers
The majority of services & duties of the Assessor's Office are mandated by Oregon statutes .
The phrase "assessor shall" indicates a mandate; "assessor may" allows discretion.
The phrase "assessor shall" occurs approximately 250 times,
while "assessor may" occurs approximately 30 times in Oregon statutes.
Josephine County Assessor - A Brief History
For a simple and fun to watch video explanation of how Measure 50
works courtesy of the Deschutes County Assessor click on this link
Click here to learn how property taxes work in Oregon